Gloucester Cathedral

The Choir

Gloucester Cathedral Choir is the successor to the boys and monks of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, who first sang daily worship in this magnificent building almost 1,000 years ago.


 

 

The Cathedral Choir


The Choir of today stems from that established by Henry VIII in 1539, consisting of up to 20 full and probationary choristers, nine lay clerks and three choral scholars. Choristers attend the neighbouring King’s School, supported by chorister scholarships, while choral scholars join the Choir for a year, usually before or after university or music college.

The choir sings six services each week (in term time) as well as major Easter and Christmas services; it also participates each year in the Three Choirs Festival, Europe’s longest established music festival.



Audio extract

Click to hear part of 'Lo the Full Final Sacrifice' by Gerald Finzi, sung by the Cathedral Choir.

The extract is taken from the CD, In the Beginning.  To read more or to buy, click here.

 

Becoming a chorister

Interested in becoming a chorister? Contact the Helen Sims for more details.

Site Design by Gilmere Ltd
© Copyright Gloucester Cathedral 2014