banner-photo

The Twentieth and Twenty-First Century

As part of the 900th anniversary celebration of Abbot Serlo laying the foundation stone of St Peter’s Abbey (now Gloucester Cathedral) in 1089, the South Ambulatory Chapel was refitted with a new stained glass window by Thomas Denny.

Depicting the New Testament story of Thomas in the presence of the risen Christ in the centre light, the windows either side are based on Psalm 148, praising God’s creation. The triptych illuminates the chapel in a magnificent blue light.

Commissioned in 2013 to create a window in honour of Ivor Gurney, Gloucestershire’s famous poet composer, Denny’s intricate stained glass can also be seen in the north chantry chapel in the Lady Chapel. Gurney’s poetry was inspired by his beloved Gloucestershire countryside and many of the scenes are recognisable local landmarks.

 

There are windows by Tom Denny in several parish churches in Gloucestershire, and also in Tewkesbury Abbey, Hereford Cathedral and Durham Cathedral.


Stained Glass
Webpage icon Arts & Crafts
Webpage icon Heraldic Glass
Webpage icon Medieval Stained Glass
Webpage icon Victorian Glass